The North Riding of Yorkshire was one of the three historic ridings or subdivisions of the English county of Yorkshire. The other two were called the West Riding of Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire. The word riding evolved from the Old Norse word "third". From the Restoration in 1660 the ridings were used as "Lieutenancy" areas for ceremonial occasions. Each of the three ridings had separate Quarter Sessions and, in many other ways, acted independently of each other.
In 1889, under the Local Government Act of the previous year, an administrative county, complete with a county council was created for the North Riding. The boundaries of the administrative county followed those of the historic county.
In 1974 both the administrative county and the Lieutenancy of the North Riding of Yorkshire were abolished, being succeeded in most of the Riding by the new non-metropolitan county of North Yorkshire.
Local Governmental Divisions 1889-1974
The North Riding was divided into into municipal boroughs, urban districts and rural districts under the Local Government Act 1894.
Middlesbrough had already been incorporated as a municipal borough in 1853 and formed a county borough, exempt from county council control, from 1889.
In 1968 a new county borough of Teesside was created from
The entirety of the new county borough was associated with the North Riding for lieutenancy and other purposes. The establishment of Teesside was the initiation of the process of changing the North Riding of Yorkshire into North Yorkshire which occurred in 1974.