- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Lanarkshire or the County of Lanark is a Lieutenancy area, registration county and former local government county in the central Lowlands of Scotland.
Historically, Lanarkshire was the most populous county in Scotland and, in earlier times, had considerably greater boundaries, including neighbouring Renfrewshire until 1402. In modern times, it was bounded to the north by Stirlingshire and a detached portion of Dunbartonshire, to the northeast by Stirlingshire, West Lothian, to the east by Peeblesshire, to the southeast and south by Dumfriesshire, to the southwest by Dumfriesshire and Ayrshire and to the west by Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Dunbartonshire.
Lanarkshire was historically divided between two administrative areas then, in the mid-18th century, was divided again into three wards: the upper, middle and lower wards with their administrative centres at Lanark, Hamilton and Glasgow respectively and remained this way until the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889. Other significant settlements include East Kilbride, Motherwell, Airdrie, Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, Blantyre, Cambuslang, Rutherglen and Wishaw.
- end of Wikipedia provision
In 1975 the counties of Scotland ceased their function and were replaced by "regions", each of which covered a great deal more territory. Local government was carried out by "districts" of these regions. Lanarkshire and parts of other counties surrounding it became Strathclyde. In 1996 the regional form of government was made defunct, and Scotland was redrawn into a number of unitary councils. Pre-1975 Lanarkshire is, for the most part, now the forebear of three unitary authorities: the City of Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire.
Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses
- FamilySearch (Index only)
- Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources. (Original images of the registers and censuses)
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.
- GENUKI article on Lanarkshire
- Scottish Places article on Lanarkshire--more information may be found by following the tabs on the right. The parish maps in this series are very useful.
- The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
- The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
- Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.