- source: Family History Library Catalog
Old Monkland was a parish in the former county of Lanarkshire, which disappeared following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1974. The area is now located in North Lanarkshire Council Area, some 7 miles (10 km) southwest of Cumbernauld, now in North Lanarkshire, and 6 miles (10 km) north of Hamilton, now in South Lanarkshire. It contained the town of Coatbridge for which there is a very long and worthwhile article in Wikipedia.
The parish had area of 45.6km2 (17.6 sq. miles) and had 4 neighbouring parishes: Bothwell, Cadder, and New Monkland, all now in North Lanarkshire, and Glasgow or the City of Glasgow Council Area.
Old Monkland was part of the area of coal mining and iron and steel production which brought it to importance during the 19th and early 20th centuries. The coal mines and almost all the iron and steel foundaries have now closed.
Old Monkland and New Monkland were one parish named Monklands prior to 1841.
Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses
- Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.
Notes for Lanarkshire
- GENUKI has a list of references for Lanarkshire. Some of these may be superseded by more modern material.
- Monklands Memories: a local website with genealogy amongst its interests and advertisements
- FreeCen index includes the whole of Lanarkshire for 1841 and a substantial section for 1851. The Genealogical Society of Utah sponsored the collection of 1881 census records and these will be found at FamilySearch. A search of all the censuses for Scotland may be done for a fee at Scotland's People
- The Old Monkland and Coatbridge Parish Registers for the Church of Scotland provide information on baptisms (1695-1854), marriages (1790-1854) and burials (no records retained). See the FamilySearch Wiki article on Old Monkland and Coatbridge for other church denominations.
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.
- GENUKI article on Old Monkland.
- Scottish Places article on the parish of Old Monkland. The tabs of the right provide more information, and comparative maps.
- The FamilySearch Wiki article on Old Monkland and Coatbridge provides direct reference to FamilySearch holdings on many topics with respect to the parish.
- The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
- The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
- Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.