Population: around 1,100 in 2001 (last census available)
Carmunnock (Cathair Mhanach in Gaelic) is a conservation village within the City of Glasgow boundary, lying within three miles of East Kilbride and Rutherglen in South Lanarkshire and Busby, East Renfrewshire.
This ancient settlement which is associated with the early Christian missionary Saint Cadoc, has a medieval street plan set within the lands of an estate held by variously the Morays of Bothwell, the Earls of Douglas and eventually to the Lords, Marquesses and Dukes of Hamilton until 1700 when it passed to the Stuarts of Castlemilk.
The village is a popular residential area. The village has its own primary school (Carmunnock Primary School) with around 178 pupils. There is also a newsagent/village shop, a petrol station, a teashop, a pharmacy and a restaurant.
The only religious body in Carmunnock is the Church of Scotland's Carmunnock Parish Church on Kirk Road, which is also known as 'The Kirk in the Braes'. The original church was built on site of the current Church around 800 years, with the current building being built in 1767 in the Civil Parish of Carmunnock. The church features external stone staircases to three galleries within the sanctuary and contains examples of stained glass by Norman Macleod MacDougall.
The church is surrounded by the old village graveyard which includes a watch-house with original instructions for grave watchers of 1828, when grave robbing was a problem. Within the structure of the church is a vault where some members of the Stirling-Stewart family, the Lairds of Castlemilk, are buried.
Services are at 11am each Sunday. Additionally, the Church is open every Saturday from 2 - 4pm between April to September.
Dates of Old Parish Registers
Sources for Vital Records and Censuses
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.