|Alt names||Dumbarton||source: Webster's Geographical Dictionary (1988) p 346|
|Dumbartonshire||source: Canby, Historic Places (1984) I, 257|
|Dunbartonshire||source: Webster's Geographical Dictionary (1988) p 346|
|Lennox||source: Canby, Historic Places (1984) I, 257|
|Siorrachd Dhùn Bhreatainn||source: Wikipedia|
|Located in||Scotland ( - 1975)|
|See also||Strathclyde, Scotland||regional authority 1975-1996|
|East Dunbartonshire, Scotland||unitary authority or Council Area since 1996|
|West Dunbartonshire, Scotland||unitary authority or Council Area since 1996|
|Argyll and Bute, Scotland||unitary authority or Council Area since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Dunbartonshire (Siorrachd Dhùn Bhreatainn in Gaelic) was a traditional county of Scotland until 1975. It was located in the west central lowlands of Scotland and lay to the north of the River Clyde. It was a primary unit of local government with its county town and administrative centre at the town of Dumbarton. In 1975 Dunbartonshire was joined with Lanarkshire, Bute and parts of Renfrewshire to become the Strathclyde Region.
In 1996 Strathclyde was abolished and Dunbartonshire was split into four. Two of the unitary council areas formed, namely East Dunbartonshire and West Dunbartonshire were made up of areas that had always been part of Dunbartonshire; the third, the westernmost, portion joined the Argyll and Bute Council Area; the fourth, the parish of Cumbernauld, became part of the North Lanarkshire Council Area. The administrative headquarters for East Dunbartonshire are at Kirkintilloch, and for West Dunbartonshire at Dumbarton.
Dunbartonshire retains its place as a lieutenancy area and registration county.
The two parishs of Kirkintilloch and Cumbernauld were not contiguous with the rest of the county, but were separated by a part of Stirlingshire.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Dunbartonshire. under the heading "Boundaries".
Although it appears landlocked on small maps the western part of Dunbartonshire is separated from other counties by water. It is bounded on the south by the River Clyde with Renfrewshire on the southern bank. At its southwestern point the River Clyde turns south and becomes the Firth of Clyde, having been joined at this point by the waters of Loch Long and the Gareloch both flowing from the north. Rosneath Parish is a peninsula between these two lochs. Much of the eastern boundary of the county is made up of Loch Lomond.
A spelling note: Traditionally the county is spelled Dunbartonshire; the town is spelled Dumbarton. There are many who would break this rule--some by accident, some by design.
Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses
- Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.
- GENUKI article on Dunbartonshire. The contributor provides a short reference list under "Bibliography".
- Scottish Places article on the county of Dunbartonshire. The tabs of the right provide more information, and comparitive maps. Further information can be found by referencing the parishes and towns of the county.
- The FamilySearch Wiki article on Dunbartonahire provides direct reference to FamilySearch holdings on many topics with respect to the county.
- The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
- The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
- Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.