- source: Family History Library Catalog
Maxwellton is a small village next to the town of East Kilbride.
Note: There is also another Maxwelltown in Kirkcudbrightshire (Dumfries and Galloway) just west of the town of Dumfries.
= Research Tips
Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses
Refer to the parish of East Kilbride for vital statistics for Maxwellton.
- FamilySearch (Indexes only)
- Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.
- Kilbride/index.shtml GENUKI article on East Kilbride
- Scottish Places article on East Kilbride--more information may be found by following the tabs on the right. The parish maps in this series are very useful.
- The maps website of the National Library of Scotland allows comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to.
- The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.