- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
East Kilbride was a parish located in the former county of Lanarkshire, which disappeared following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1974. The parish had an area of 96km2 (37 sq. miles) and had 9 neighbouring parishes: Avondale, Blantyre, Cambuslang, Carmunnock, Cathcart, Glassford in Lanarkshire; and Eaglesham, Loudoun and Mearns in Renfrewshire. The boundaries of this parish were modified among significant changes recommended by the Boundary Commissioners after the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889.
It is now situated in South Lanarkshire Council Area, some 6 miles (10 km) southeast of Newton Mearns in East Renfrewshire and 7 miles (11 km) southwest of Hamilton in South Lanarkshire.
Source: Scottish Places article on East Kilbride
The parish contains the large town of East Kilbride (population: 73796 in 2001 (the latest census available) . Busby is a smaller place located on the edge of the parish as it meets Renfrewshire.
Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses
- Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.
Notes for Lanarkshire
- GENUKI has a list of references for Lanarkshire. Some of these may be superseded by more modern material.
- FreeCen index includes the whole of Lanarkshire for 1841 and a substantial section for 1851. The Genealogical Society of Utah sponsored the collection of 1881 census records and these will be found at FamilySearch. A search of all the censuses for Scotland may be done for a fee at Scotland's People
- ’’Lanarkshire Monumental Inscriptions: Pre 1855 Inscriptions and maps from the burial grounds of the Upper (southern) Ward of South Lanarkshire’’. Edited by Sheila A Scott, M.A. Book available through both of the above family history societies or from the original publisher: The Scottish Genealogical Society.
- The East Kilbride Parish Registers for the Church of Scotland provide information on baptisms (1688-1854), marriages (1688-1749 and 1754-1854) and burials (1821-1838). See Kilbride,_Lanarkshire,_Scotland the FamilySearch Wiki article on East Kilbride for other church denominations.
Further Sources of Reference
Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.
- Scottish Places article on the parish of East Kilbride. The tabs of the right provide more information, and comparative maps.
- The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
- The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
- Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.