Place:Eglingham, Northumberland, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55.469°N 1.835°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoCoquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Eglingham is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, situated about 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Alnwick and 10 miles (16 km) from Wooler. The village lies in the sheltered valley of the Eglingham Burn, a tributary of the River Aln, about 100 metres (330 ft) above sea level, in a rural conservation area set amongst rolling countryside, within 5 miles (8 km) of the Cheviot Hills. The village is surrounded by mainly arable farmland, moorland and woodland.

The village has about 60 dwellings and a population of about 100, most situated either side of the through-road, and including the local manorial property, Eglingham Hall.

As a parish Eglingham is about nine miles (14 km) in length by four and a half in breadth, with an area of 23,361 acres (94.54 km2). It comprises 2 villages and 15 settlements:

The River Breamish, which rises in the Cheviots, runs through the parish. The geological composition of the parish includes rich gravelly loam along the path of the river; clay predominating in the centre of the parish, and unenclosed moorland in the south and east. Within the moor area is Kimmer Loch, covering 10 acres (4.0 ha), and reputed to abound in perch and pike.

The parish is largely agricultural, although gravel extraction continues to the west. In 2011, the UK census reported a population for the parish of 385. Villages in the parish also serve as bases for commuters working in Alnwick and Newcastle upon Tyne.

In addition to agriculture, the parish's population was also engaged in mining coal and quarrying limestone and freestone, all of which are described as being available in abundance. A nineteenth-century travellers' guide describes a stream of water which "is turned black as common ink by an infusion of galls". Eglingham colliery closed in November 1897, after becoming unprofitable owing to the costs of removing water from the main coal seams at Black Hill.

Further descriptions from 1855 and 1871

"EGLINGHAM parish is bounded on the north by Glendale Ward, on the west by the parishes of Ingram and Ilderton, on the south by Alnwick, Edlingham, and Whittingham parishes, and on the east by Bambrough Ward. It is about nine miles in length, by four and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 23,361 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,536; in 1811, 1,538; in 1821, 1,666; in 1831, 1,805; in 1841, 1,832; and in 1851, 2,000 souls. It comprises 16 townships, which exhibit a great variety of soil and scenery, from the sterile moor to the fertile and highly cultivated valley, and possesses a mineral spring, tinctured with sulphuric acid, which issues from an old drift for the draining of coalpits; as also a lake covering nine acres, called Kimmer Lough, abounding in perch and pike, the latter of which attain to a great size. There are some vestiges of British and Roman encampments, and the ruins of an old border tower. Lime freestone, and coal are abundant in this parish."

(Source: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855).

"SHIPLEY, a township in the parish of Eglingham, county Northumberland, 5 miles N.W. of Alnwick. It is wholly agricultural. The Earl of Tankerville and J. H. H. Atkinson, Esq., are lords of the manor." (Source: ibid)

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eglingham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EGLINGHAM, a township in Alnwick [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies between the rivers Alne and Breamish, 6 miles NW of Alnwick [railway] station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres: 1,946. Population: 363. Houses: 73.
"The parish contains also the townships of [as above]. Acres: 23,361. Real property: £19,097; of which £62 are in mines. Population: 1,845. Houses: 339. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Ogles. Much of the surface is moorland. Limestone, freestone, and coal abound. A mineral spring, impregnated with vitriol, issues from an old coal draining-drift. A lake of five acres, called Keemer Lough, is rich in perch and very large pike. There are ruins of an old Border tower, and vestiges of British and Roman camps. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the archdeaconship of Lindisfarne, in the diocese of Durham. Value: £835. The church is good; and there is a Presbyterian chapel.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Eglingham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.