|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Eglingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Glendale Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Lilburn, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of East Lilburn and West Lilburn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LILBURN (EAST and WEST), two townships in Eglingham parish, Northumberland; on and near the river Till, 4 and 2¾ miles SE of Wooler. Acres: 868 and 1,965. Population: 85 and 245. Houses: 16 and 40. West Lilburn has a post office under Alnwick. Lilburn Tower is the seat of E. Collingwood, Esq.; stands conspicuously on a knoll, in the middle of the valley; and is a Tudor mansion, by Dobson. Ruins of an old chapel, where the Collingwoods were baptized and buried till the last generation, are in the grounds. The fragment of an ancient tower, which was the seat of the Lilburns in the 13th century, is on the hill above. The base of a cross, with four steps, was found, in 1769, under a heap called the "Apron-full of Stones"."
West Lilburn was a township in the ancient parish of Eglingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Lilburn.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | West Lilburn, Northumberland, England | Eglingham, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Glendale Rural, Northumberland, England | Lilburn, Northumberland, England