|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Ellingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Eglingham, Northumberland, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
North Charlton is a hamlet in Northumberland, in England. It is situated on the A1 road between Alnwick and Berwick upon Tweed.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of North Charlton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHARLTON (North), a township in Ellingham parish, Northumberland; 6½ miles N by W of Alnwick. Acres: 2,731. Population: 184. Houses: 43."
Historically it was a township in the ancient parish of Ellingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Eglingham. North Charlton was a very large parish of 2,807 acres in 1955. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | North Charlton, Northumberland, England | Embleton, Northumberland, England | Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England | Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England | Eglingham, Northumberland, England