|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Belford Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Chathill, Northumberland, England||civil parish it absorbed in 1955|
|Newham (near Ellingham), Northumberland, England||civil parish it absorbed in 1955|
|Preston (near Alnwick), Northumberland, England||civil parish it absorbed in 1955|
|Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: Edlingham, Eglingham and Ellingham were all ancient parishes in northern Northumberland relatively close to the North Sea coast. All three places can all be found on modern maps.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ellingham is a civil parish in Northumberland, England. The population taken at the 2001 UK census was 282, increasing slightly to 288 at the 2011 census.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ellingham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ELLINGHAM, a township in Belford [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Alnwick [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies 2 miles WSW of Chathill [railway] station, and 6½ SSE of Belford; and has a post office under Chathill. Acres: 3,109. Population: 280. Houses: 46.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Chathill, Preston, Doxford, North Charlton, and South Charlton. Acres: 9,124. Real property: £8,790; of which £40 are in mines. Population: 813. Houses: 157. The property is divided among a few. Ellingham Hall is the seat of Sir John Haggerston, Bart. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Ralph de Gangy. Coal and limestone occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £538. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church dates from the 12th century; and was recently rebuilt. The [perpetual] curacy of South Charlton is a separate benefice."
Ellingham was an ancient parish in the Bamburgh Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the civil parishes of Chathill, Newham (near Ellingham) and Preston (near Alnwick). In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Ellingham became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Townships in Parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.