|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Eglingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Beanley, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Hedgeley in 1955|
|Bolton, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Hedgeley in 1955|
|Crawley, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Hedgeley in 1955|
|Glanton, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Hedgeley in 1955|
|Shawdon, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Hedgeley in 1955|
|Alnwick District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hedgeley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEDGELEY, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland; under the Cheviots, near the river Breamish, 8 miles WNW of Alnwick. Acres: 700. Population: 104. Houses: 17. Hedgeley House is a chief residence. A Druidical circle of ten stones, and 114 feet in diameter, is at Three Stone burn. A skirmish between the Lancastrians, under Sir Ralph Percy, and the Yorkists, under Lord Montacute, took place, in 1463, on Hedgeley moor, and was fatal to Sir Ralph Percy. A stone pillar, known as Hedgeley cross, stands in commemoration of him, and bears the inscription "'Tis of the Percy's deathless fame, That dark grey cross remains to tell; It bears the Percy's honoured name, For near its base the Percy fell"."
Hedgeley was a township in the ancient parish of Eglingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the surrounding parishes of Beanley, Bolton, Crawley, Glanton and Shawdon. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Hedgeley became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Hedgeley, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Eglingham, Northumberland, England | Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England | Alnwick District, Northumberland, England