Place:Harehope, Northumberland, England

Alt namesHareupsource: spelling variant
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.471°N 1.845°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoEglingham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Eglingham, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Harehope from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAREHOPE, or HAREUP, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland; 8½ miles NW of Alnwick. Acres: 566. Population: 38. Houses: 10. Hareup House, a large mansion in the Tudor style, built in 1848, is the seat of O. Cresswell, Esq."

Harehope was a township in the ancient parish of Eglingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into Eglingham.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.