|Type||Township, Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Ellingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Eglingham, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
South Charlton is a small village in the English county of Northumberland. It is located 5 miles (8 km) northwest of Alnwick, in the civil parish of Eglingham. Historically South Charlton was a township and a chapelry in the ancient parish of Ellingham.
The parish church of St. James, South Charlton was built in 1862 by James Deason of London for the 4th Duke of Northumberland, in an Early English style. It is a Grade II listed building.
Two miles southeast of the village, on the slopes of Heifer Law, is Heiferlaw Tower, a ruined fifteenth century pele tower built by the monks of Alnwick Abbey.
South Charlton was a township in the ancient parish of Ellingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Eglingham.
NOTE: Eglingham is further south than Ellingham.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | South Charlton, Northumberland, England | Ellingham, Northumberland, England | Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England | Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England | Eglingham, Northumberland, England