||The James River, arising in the Appalachian Mountains of western Virginia, from the confluence of the Cowpasture and Jackson rivers, and flows into the Chesapeake Bay at Hampton Roads. The Old Augusta project generally includes the area drained by the James, west of the Appalachians. (See highlighted area in adjacent map.) Portions of the James watershed on the eastern slopes of the Appalachians (e.g., Bedford and Albemarle Counties, are also included in Old Augusta Project, primarily because of the large number of related families settled on each side of the Appalachian divide. Settlement of the eastern portions of this area began as early as 1733. Settlement in the core of modern Augusta and Rockbridge Counties, within the James River watershed did not begin until about 1738, when Benjamin Borden secured a land grant that ultimately totally 92,000 acres.
Note: Buffalo Creek, Halfway Creek and Whistle Creek, considered tributaries of the James River, enter the Borden Tract near its southwest boundary, and some of the settlers appearing here will also be listed in the Borden Tract.
From Chalkley's, unless other source stated (listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree):
- Page 770.--21st July, 1764. Joshua Hedley, executor of Joshua Hedley, deceased, to Malcome (Malcolm) Allen, of Prince Edward County, Virginia, £16, 50 acres by patent, 3d November, 1750, called the Pound Bottoms, beginning south side James River, at the lower end of the Bottom, a hill opposite an island. Teste: Hugh Martin, Martha Allen, Hugh Allen, Robert ( ) Martin. Mary ( ) McElheny. Delivered: Francis Smith, 1st October, 1767.
- In addition to the acquisition above, Malcolm Allen acquired two tract of 54 acres and 80 acres, "on the James River", by patent on 16 September 1765.
- Page 507.--18th August, 1761. Alexander McClure, farmer, to John Allison, £130, 370 acres on North Branch of James River; cor. William Hall; Robert Poage's corner; cor. tract surveyed for Robert Hutson. Delivered: John Allison, September, 1769. (Note: Alexander McClure was possibly the Uncle of his wife, Hannah McClure)
- Page 269.--21st May, 1747. Benj. Bordin, &c., to Robert Allison (sold in testator's lifetime); 279 acres, 2 R., 36 P., £8.5.0 current money Virginia, part of 92,100 (Borden Tract); north branch of James; corner to Halbert McClure, James Thompson's land. Witnessed and acknowledged as above. (Note: this land was located in the Borden Tract)
- Page 278.—22nd August, 1749. Silas Hart, mason, to William Anderson, farmer. Delivered: Benjamin Morgan, August, 1762. 460 acres on North Branch James. Patented to Silas, 12th January, 1746. Teste: Alexander Wright, Andrew Johnston, James Edmiston.
- Pg. 15 - Land Survey - Stephen Arnold, 220 acres, James River. Mentioned Elk Creek. November 26, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 6].
- Pg. 108 - Land Survey - Stephen Arnold, 350 acres, South side of the James River. Adjoining John Hall. May 4, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 39].
- Page 521.—21st December, 1754. John Peter Sailing to Joseph Benton and Mary Elizabeth, his wife, of Albemarle County, £100, 200 acres on North Branch of James; Henry Fooler's corner. Teste: Wm. Burt, Wm. Green ( ), Joseph ( ) Ryan, Sarah C. Ryan.
- Page 805.--25th August, 1750. John Matthews, Gent. and Ann, 296 acres, to John Berrisford, farmer, James River, North Branch of James; Philip Weaver's Bottom; McDowell's Meadow Creek; corner McDowell. Teste: Edward Boyle, Joshua and Richard Mathews.
- Page 165.--Same date (28th November, 1751). Same (From James Patton) to John Berrisford, 120 acres by patent as above (Buffalo Creek of James). McDowells Meadow run in Forks of James. Survey of John Mathews; McDowell's line.
- Page 40.--12th November, 1762. James Johnston to Abraham Bess, £30, 108 acres on waters of Catawba, part of 230 patented to James, 7th August, 1761.
- Page 480.—8th October, 1754. John Sprout to John Bowen, £ , 320 acres by deed from Col. Patton, 28th November, 1751, on Broad Spring, a branch of James River. Signed John Sprott.
- Page 45.--8th November. 1762. James McDowell and Elizabeth to John Bowyer, £300, 400 acres on main branch of James River, conveyed by Samuel McDowell and Mary. Delivered: Jno. Bowyer, 1765.
- Page 47.--13th November, 1762. Robert ( ) Luney and Elisabeth to John Bowyer, £300, 250 acres on James River patented to Robert, 30th July, 1742.
- Page 461.--19th November, 1747. £41. John Doage (s/b Poage), farmer, to Richard Burton, farmer, 400 acres on James River on west side Blue Ridge patented to John, 12th January, 1746. Teste: James Porteus, Benj. Johnston. Acknowledged, 19th November, 1747.
- * Page 307.--15th August, 1780. John Burger and Suckey, of Albemarle. to Claudius Buster, of Augusta. (Note: location listed in disposition on 21 May 1782: "on Blue Ridge Mountains in Augusta and Amherst, known as Rockfish Gap, patented to William Rodgers and John Burger").
- James Campbell acquired 570 acres of land adjoining John Cloyd before 1746. Although the location of this land is not listed in the records, it appears to be between the James River and Buffalo Creek, next to the land acquired by John Cloyd before his death in 1759.
- Page 155.--2d March, 1768. James ( ) Carr and Mary ( ), of Bedford County, to Henry Cartmill, £60, 120 acres patented to James 10th September, 1767, on Purgatory Creek. Teste: Walter Stewart. Sent to Henry Cartmill, October, 1773.
- Pg. 33-35. Indenture 22 May 1745 between John Buckhannon (Buchanan) of Beverley Manor in Orange County, Yeoman, of one part and David Cloyd of New Castle County in the Province of Pennsylvania, Yeoman... for sum of five shillings paid by David Cloyd.. granted 400 acres... that part of Orange County known as Augusta... on the road side of the Blue Ridge and on the West side of James River and on the head of a branch of Goose Creek... bounded as follows.. lands of James Patton, John Buchanan.. (signed) John Buckhannon (seal). Witnesses: James Patton, Silas Hart, Samuel Gay. Payment of ₤27.15.10... Release recorded 23 May 1745. [Orange County Deed Book 10, pg. 33].
- Page 523.--12th April, 1748. £20. John Mills to David Cloyd, 400 acres on a branch of James River called Persimona Branch. Teste: James Patton, Thomas Lewis, Arther ( ) Watts. Proved by all, 20th May, 1748.
- Page 343.--20th May, 1761. David Cloyd to Michael Cloyd, £10, 400 acres on Pecimmon Branch of James River. Teste: Joseph Robinson, James Cloyd, George Alexander. Delivered: William McClenaclian, November, 1766.
- Page 346.--20th May, 1761. David Cloyd to Michael Cloyd, £5, 262 acres on Percimmon Branch of James River, adjoining David Mitchel and William Mills; cor. Mills' former survey. Delivered.
- Page 349.--29th May, 1761. David Cloyd, Sr., to David Cloyd, Jr., £20, 400 acres on a south branch of Cedar Creek. Teste: Joseph Robinson, James Cloyd, George Alexander.
- Page 397.—3d August, 1753. James Hamilton and Jane to Robert Christian, 1753, 250 acres on North Branch James in Borden's tract; from Borden, 1751, by a warm spring, Hays Creek. Teste: Alexander McNutt, David Moore. Delivered to Israel Christian, 1757.
- Page 131.--Same (From Zeruiah Borden, widow, of Frederick County and Benj. Borden, of Augusta, executors of Benj. Borden, late of Orange) to Ezekiel Clements, 5 shillings current money Virginia. Benjamin in his lifetime had agreed to convey 400 acres patented to Benjamin 24th March, 1740, on a James River branch called the Mary on southwest side.
- Page 23.--17th September, 1761. Thomas Lewis to Wm. Crawford, £48, 370 acres patented to Thomas, 9th Ocober, 1753, in Forks of James on First and Second Run, George Rutledge's land. Delivered to George Crawford, devisee of Wm. Crawford, 13th January, 1784.
- Page 661.--10th August, 1764. James Bailey and Anne ( ) to Edmund Crump, £20, 142 acres in Forks of James, John Taylor's line; corner James Bailey. Teste: James Edmiston, John ( ) Taylor, Patrick ( ) McCollom.
- Page 21.--4th June, 1748. James Wood, of Frederick, to Daniel Davison, Smith's Creek. Teste: Thos. How, south side of wagon road; patented to James Wood, 12th January, 1746. Teste: Jno. Hopes, Thos. Wood, Thos. Story, Morgan Bryan, Jno. Harrison, Jr. Delivered: Jno. Harrison, Jr., November, 1766.
- Page 448.--21st May, 1782. Claudius Bustard and Dorcas to James Hays and Braxton Eastham, on Blue Ridge Mountains in Augusta and Amherst, known as Rockfish Gap, patented to William Rodgers and John Burger. (Note: this tract appears to be the 333 acre-tract later sold in 1788).
- Page 513.--15th August, 1769. William McBride and Martha to Edward Erwin, £50, 152 acres in Forks of James, part of tract belonging to William. Delivered: James Todd, 22d June, 1772.
- Page 99 - Benjamin Esstill, 344 acres, North side of James River. October 25, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 36].
- 16 February 1745 - Land Survey for Nathaniel Evins (Evans) for 161 acres "on the Halfway Creek, by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53]. (Note: "Halfway Creek" is a tributary of the James River that enters the Borden Tract at its lower end).
- 16 February 1745 - Land Survey for Nathaniel Evins (Evans) for 184 acres "on the Halfway Creek, by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53].
- 15 February 1745 - Land Survey for William Evans for 450 acres "on the Halfway Creek, by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53].
- Page 20 - Denes Getty, 204 acres, Lees Run, a branch of Catawbu River. December 20, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 8].
- Page 73 - Dennes Getty, 320 acres, Branch of the Catawba. September 12, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 28].
- Page 38.—21st March, 1755. Robert Poage and Elizabeth (her mark), to James Gilmore, £30, 285 acres in Fork of James on head of Mill Creek; corner Joseph Walker; corner Mary Doughert. Delivered to James Gilmore, November, 1766.
- Page 451.--14th June, 1757. John Taylor and Esther ( ) to Thomas Gordon, £20, 120 acres cor. Wood's and Green's land on head Muddy Creek; cor. Jno. O'Neal's land. Teste: Geo. Bigham, Elijah Clery. Delivered: Thos. Gordon, April, 1771.
- Page 242.--25th February, 1788. James Hayes, of Albemarle, Braxton Eastham, of Rockbridge, to William Greyson, Nathaniel Garland and James Brooks, of Albemarle, 333 acres at Rockfish Gap, three patents belonging to Manus Burger, deceased, and John Burger, lately in possession of Henry Lyon, and now in possession of James P. Hulse. Teste: Jesse and Thomas Stockton, John Mills.
- Page 380.—17th May, 1768. John ( ) Davis and Judith ( ) to James Gregory, £75, 280 acres on West Fork of James River called Back Creek conveyed by John Young to said John Davis, 15th May, 1766. Delivered: Arther Hickens (Kichens), May, 1773.
- Page 48.--18th August, 1748. Rev. John Craige to Joshua Hadley, 400 acres in fork of Craig's Creek and James River. Isabella Hellena, wife of John Teste: Thos. Lewis, Silas Hart, Robt. McClenachan.
- Page 92.--28th November, 1751. Same (From James Patton) to Joshua Hadley, 186 acres by patent as above, a placed called the Long Bottom. South side of James.
- Page 95.--28th November, 1751. Same to same (From James Patton) to Joshua Hadley), 50 acres, patented as above, at a place called the Pound Bottom, on James River.
- Page 22.--12th December, 1753. Joshua Hadley and Patience to Thomas Hadley, 400 acres in Fork of James River and Craig's Creek. Teste: Edward McDonald. Delivered to. Wm. Preston.
- Page (866) 860.--28th August, 1750. Same (From Benjamin Borden) to Thomas Hadley, on Catuba Creek, 334 acres, part of above patent (part of 2880 acres on Catabo Creek; patented to Benj., Sr., 19th March, 1740).
- Page 253.--20th May, 1752. Same (From Borden, &c.) to Thomas Hadley, 399 acres of 2,880 acres patented 9th March, 1750. Catuba Creek of James.
- 23 May 1750 - Augusta County, Virginia Will Book 1, page 729 - John Collier and Sisely to William Hall. Delivered: Jos. Hall, February, 1755. - 212 acres on Buffalo Creek whereon John now lives. The Shipp Rock; corner Arthur Brown. Teste: Tobias Smith, William Lusk, Patrick Deavis.
- John Harrison received a patent for 400 acres "on the Dry Fork of Smith's Creek" on 10th February 1748.
- Page 495.--21st August, 1767. Ruben Moore ( ) and Ann, of Frederick County, to Rubin Harrison, £100, 400 acres on the Dry Fork of Smith's Creek, patented to John Harrison, deceased, 10th February, 1748 who devised the same to said Ann, Delivered: Thomas Patterson by your order, January, 1773.
- Page 125.--18th June, 1746. The Bordens as above to John Hays. Testator in his lifetime had agreed to sell to Hays; 318 acres, 2 roods, 38 p., part of 92,100 acres (Borden Tract) patented to Benjamin 6th _____, 1739, on bank of Hays Creek, Moxbett Creek, where Maxbett and Hays Creek come together. Con., 5 shillings. Acknowledged as above.
- Page 466.--18th February, 1747. £30. John Davison, farmer to Wm. Henderson, farmer, 350 acres on north branch of James River at mouth of Buffalo Creek. Teste: Jno. Christian, Robt. Christian, W. Christian. Acknowledged by John, 18th February, 1747, and Jean, his wife, releases dower.
- Page 456.—10th August, 1753. David Henderson for Wm. Hudson and Jno. Cloyd, both of Chester County, Pennsylvania, to Wm. Henderson. 1753, 350 acres on North Branch of James, Buffilo Creek. Livery by a branch of an oak and a handful of earth. Delivered: Walter Davis, January, 1756. Teste: Wm. Lusk.
- James Hollis received a patent of 395 acres "by patent, 7th August, 1761, on waters of Catawba; corner Burden's land, Thomas Ramsey's line".
- Page 393.—29th November, 1749. William Henderson to William Hudson and John Clyde (s/b John Cloyd, of Penna. Above the mouth of Buffalo Creek, 350 acres on the North Branch of James River. Susanna, wife of William Henderson. (Note: William Hudson married Jane Cloyd, daughter of James Cloyd. The John Cloyd listed in this record MAY be a cousin to Jane).
- Page 10.--2nd October, 1750. James Boyd, of Lunenburg Co., to James Hughey, 12th February, 1742, 340 acres; patented to James, Looney's Mill Creek. Teste: Wm. Dulaney, Jno. Michelsneler, Robert Tate.
- Page 199.--10th March, 1767. Malcom (Malcolm) Allen and Mary ( ) to Martin Kayser (Kaysay), £33, 54 acres by patent, 16th September, 1765, on James River. Teste: Gabriel Smither, Hugh and Moses Allen. Sent to Kayser, February, 1776.
- Page 203.--13th February, 1761. Nathaniel Evins and Mary to John Keys, £15, 161 acres on west side of the South River alias the River Mary, a branch of James River, patented to Nathaniel, 1759; cor. tract belonging to heirs of John McDowell, the low ground of Reverend Alexander McDowell. Teste: Thomas Bowyer, Samuel and James McDowell.
- Page 102.--2d August, 1768. James Campbell and Elizabeth ( ) to Charles Kirkpatrick, £92, 253 acres on Whistle Creek in Forks of James, mouth of said Creek; corner Patrick Young, Hall's Mill; corner James Crawford. Teste: John Bowyer, R. Alexander, Jr., Pat. ( ) Doney, John Paxton. Delivered: John Kirkpatrick, 4th January, 1772.
- Page 16.--19th July, 1748. Jacob Dye and wife Mary, farmer, to Ephraim Love, late of Lancaster County, Penna. Delivered: Wm. Hopkins, 6th March, 1753. Muddy Creek; corner Daniel Harrison, Wm. White, Wm. Carroll.
- Page 526.—19th March, 1755. John Logan, farmer, to Alexander Logan, his son, paternal love, &c., and £10, 237 acres in Borden's tract on Capt. Joseph Kennedy's Mill Creek of James River; corner McNutt's land; Wm. Berry's line; corner Capt. Joseph Kennedy; Thomas Raird's corner. Livery, &c. Delivered: Alexander McNut. September. 17G5.
- Page 474.—18th September, 1754. Daniel (his mark) Luney (Looney) to Abraham Looney, £100, 180 acres by patent, 20th August, 1748, on the Long Run, a branch of James River; corner Robert Looney, Sr. Teste: Wm. Harbison. Delivered to Abraham, August, 1762.
- Page 302.--4th May, 1767. Sampson and George Mathews, executors of John Mathews, to William McBride. John in his lifetime sold to William Bradshaw 306 acres in forks of James River and by his will directed his executors to make deed for same, and Bradshaw relinquishes his purchase in favor of William McBride, £70 paid to John and £80 paid to executors. 306 acres, corner John Mathews.
- Page 523.--19th August, 1761. Charles Millican, of Orange County, North Carolina, by John Buchanan, to John McClellon, £__, 297 acres on a branch of James River, on Looney's Mill Creek. Delivered: Francis Smith, 1st October, 1767.
- Page 576.--10th May, 1764. Hannah ( ) Kirkham to John McClure, £35, 100 acres in Forks of James River, part of 200 acres formerly belonging to Robert Armstrong, deceased. Delivered: John McClure, June, 1766.
- Page 381.--30th November, 1749. B. Borden (Benjamin Borden) to John McFarrin (Pharrin?), 319 acres of 2880 acres. Patented to Benjamin, 9th March, 1740. On Catabo Creek, a branch of James River.
- Page 340.-- (bet. 23 June-10 Aug. 1753) David Mitchell, yeoman, to Thomas McFerran (McFerrin), yeoman, 220 acres on Percimmon Branch of James, granted to David, 15th March, 1744; Joseph Lapsley's line. Teste: Edward McDonald and Pat. Shockey, Jno. Neelley.
- Page 403.--18th March, 1757. Samuel McDowell and Mary to James McGavock, £60, 400 acres by patent dated 25th June, 1747, in Forks of James on branches of Cedar Creek. Delivered: McGaffock, February, 1760.
- Page 393.--15th March, 1768. John Hall and Mary to James McGavock and John Maxwell, £50, 45 acres of Cedar Creek in Forks of James; corner William Hall, Jr., William Poage's line; corner David Cloyd. Delivered: Hugh Brawford, May, 1778.
- William McMahon received a patent for 400 acres "on the head of a north branch of Buffilo Creek adjoining Benj. Bordin's land" on 12th September 1746.
- Page 392.--9th June, 1769. John ( ) Summers and Isabella, of the Forks of James River, to James McMath and Susanna, his wife, of said Forks, £60, 440 acres in Forks of James; corner Wm. McKee's on Borden's patent line; corner James Davis; corner Samuel Wilson, Hugh Cunningham's line; corner Samuel McMurtry.( Teste: James Davies, John McMurtrey. John Young.
- John Matthews, Sr., had a grant of 1,600 acres on Mill Creek of James River. Part of the tract Robert Poage obtained from George Robinson and James Wood by Caveat. (Orange County, Virginia records).
- Page 335.--16th August, 1756. John Matthews, Sr. and Anne ( ) to Richard Mathews, £10, 300 acres in Forks of James upon Mill Creek, joining George Mathews. Jno. Maxwell's line, cor. Jno. Mathews, Sr. Teste: Jno. Mathews. Jr., Geo. Trout, Ann Mathews, Jr. Delivered: James Lockhart, June, 1757.
- Page 337.--16th August, 1756. John Matthews, Sr., gent., and Ann to George Mathews, £10, 300 acres in Forks of James on Mill Creek, joining Jno. Poage. John Maxwell's line, cor. Richard Mathews.
- Page 487.—22d November, 1754. Sampson Mathews, farmer, to John Mathews, Jr., Jr., farmer, £5, 180 acres on North Branch of James; corner Henry Fuller; corner Wm. Henderson; conveyed to Sampson in May, 1754, by John Peter Sailing. Delivered: James Lockhart, June, 1757.
- Page 480.--20th October, 1763. Same (From John ( ) Harger and Agness ( ), of Louisa County) to Christian Godfrey Miliron, £36, 140 acres, part of 400 acres formerly belonging to John in Forks of James, Andrew Brown's line. Teste: Andrew ( ) Brown, Wm. Holman ( ). Delivered: Wm. Foster by your order, February, 1768.
- David Mitchell received a patent of 220 acres on "Percimmon Branch of James", on 15 March 1744.
- William Mitchell received a patent of 200 acres on a "Branch of James River called the Mary", on 25 September, 1746.
- Page 371.--15th August, 1767. John and Robert Armstrong, of Granville County, South Carolina, to John Moore, £77, two tracts containing together 180 acres, on Broad Creek in Fork of James, A containing 100 acres; B containg 80 acres; crossing Lick Run. Delivered: John Moore. May Court, 1774.
- Page 253.--12th July, 1750. Samuel Newman, farmer, and Martha to Thomas Moore, farmer, 200 acres, where Newman now lives; patented from Fairfax, on Smith Creek. Teste: Michael Warren and Wm. Carril.
- Page 246.--7th November, 1767. Josiah Davidson, eldest son and heir of Daniel Davidson, deceased, to Thomas Moore, blacksmith, £160, 370 acres on Smith's Creek, the same that was conveyed to Daniel 4th June, 1748, by James Wood, to whom it was patented 12th January, 1766 (1756). Delivered: Thos. Moore, 14th June, 1770.
- Page 599. 1st, Mar, 1749. Ephraim Vause (Vance) to James Nealey, 245 acres. Corner Francis Beaty. (Note: this land per the acquisition in 1747, was on Goose Creek).
- Vol. 2 - 1749, June 29th--Aaron Oliver, 400 (acres) near Jacob Dy's, vid. Jno. McGreery. (Note: based upon other records listed below, this land was located near Muddy Creek).
- Vol. 2 - 1749-50, March 2d--John O'Neal, 50, on Muddy Creek, joining Wood's land, with one right; 200 at the Great Spring, joining Wood's and Oliver's, with four rights; 300 joining Wood's and Robt. Caldwell's land, Muddy Creek, six rights.
- Page 39.--27th March, 1746 (not 7, but 1745-6). Timothy Crosthwaite, of County Orange, to James Patton, _____ consideration; 400 acres in fork of James River granted by patent to William Crosthwaite, deceased, 12th February, 1742, and now in possession of Timothy, eldest son and heir of William. Witnesses, Thomas Chew, Henry Downs, Sr. and Jr. Proved by all the witnesses, 14th February, 1746, and 23d May, 1747.
- Page 249.--10th June, 1763. Nathaniel Evins and Mary ( ) to Thos. Paxton, £100, 190 acres on North Branch of James, part of the tract where Nathaniel now lives, mouth of Buffalo Creek; corner Alexander Baggs. Teste: James Trimble, Sarah Trimble, Mary Preston. Delivered: Thomas Paxton, June, 1766.
- Page 711.--11th August, 1764. James McDowell and Francis, of the County of James City, Virginia, to Thomas Paxton, £250, 400 acres patented to James, 1st March, 1743, said river. Delivered: Thomas Paxton, June. 1766.
- Page 163.—17th February, 1748, farmer. Robert Poage to James McAfee, farmer. On Catapa, a branch of James River opposite to mouth of Holstein's Branch at a place called Indian Camp. Elizabeth, wife of Robert. Teste: George Anderson.
- Page 203.--19th March, 1746. Benj. Borden to Halbert McClure (sold in lifetime of Benjamin, Sr.); 203 acres for £6.1.6 current money Virginia, part of 92,100 acres (Borden Tract) on north branch of James River; corner to William Hall's land; corner to Samuel McClure. Witnessed and acknowledged as above.
- Page 132.—15th February, 1748-9. William Mitchell and Margaret (his wife) to James McClure. Branch of James River called the Mary, 200 acres patented to William, 25th September, 1746.
- Page 265.--21st May, 1747. Benj. Borden, &c., to Nathaniel McClure (sold in testator's lifetime); 180 acres, £5.7.6, part of 92,100 acres patented (Borden Tract), &c., on North River, Worm Run; corner to Moses McClure, on east branch of Mill Creek. Teste: Jno. Bramham, Jr.; Thos. Gordon, John Finley. Acknowledged, 21st May, 1747.
- Page 302.—19th August, 1749. James Wood, above, to Samuel McRoberts, 287 acres on Middle Branch of Catapo Creek. Patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: James Porteus, William Burk, Valentine Sevier.
- Page 185.—3d May, 1749. John Moore and Margaret, his wife, to Robert Moore. Woods Creek, a branch of James River; corner John Moore. Gilbert Campbell.
- Page 41.--22d November, 1751. Jeremiah Chamberlain of York Co., Pennsylvania, to John Neeley, 400 acres, branches of James; patented to Jeremiah, 12th February, 1742. Teste: James Ewing.
- Page 460.—18th August, 1753. James Patton to Morris O'Freel, 400 acres by patent 3d November, 1750, in Forks of James, Samuel Walker's land. Road.
- Page 19.--6th February, 1745-6. John Patteet, of Frederick County, yeoman. Whereas, James Greenlee, of County of Augusta, yeoman, is bound to John Pateet by covenant relating to two tracts of land lying on South Branch of James River containing 550 acres, purchased by John from James to Charles Sinckler, laborer. Assignment to Charles of John's rights under the covenant with Greenlee.
- Page 849.--10th July, 1750. Henry Kirkham and Margaret to Jolm (sic, s/b John) Paxton, lots of Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania; Benj. Borden; on James River; on Wood's Creek; corner Joseph Lapsley; 198 A, 3 R, 36 P, conveyed to Henry by Borden, 27th July, 1742. Teste: Richard Woods, Jno. McKey.
- Page 95.—15th February, 1748. Robert Allison to Joseph Paxton; James River; the Narrows on No. Branch of James. Teste: Thomas Sheals. Robert Alexander.
- Page 845.-- (undated, prob. bet. July-August 1750) James Patton, Gent., to John Poage, farmer, 238 acres on James River branches. (Note: John Poage in this transaction was the brother of Robert Poage listed in the transaction below)
- Page 61.--Ditto (18th November, 1752). Same (From James Patton) to Robert Poage, 104 acres by patent as above, on Cedar Creek in Forks of James; corner Thomas Taylor's line; McDowell's land; corner Wm. Mills.
- 13 March 1745 - Land Survey for John Poage for 214 acres on Cedar Creek (branch of the James River), by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53].
- Page 447.—21st November, 1754. Robert Poage to John Poage, £25, 300 acres on Mill Creek of James River; corner John Mathews; corner Joseph Walker. (Note: this was apparently a transaction between Robert Poage and his son, John Poage).
- Page 75.--16th November, 1762. Robert Poage and Jean to William Poage. 104 acres on Cedar Creek in Forks of James; cor. Thomas Taylor, McDowell's land; cor. William Mull's land. Delivered: Robert Poage, Sr., 3d March, 1768.
- Page 409.—21st August, 1754. Same (Borden's executors) to William Porter, plantationer, £3,110 acres, part of 92,100 (Borden Tract) on west bank of North Branch of James River; corner to said Porter's old survey; John McCown's line; James Mile's line. Delivered to Jno. Mitchell, January, 1758.
- Page 477.—26th September, 1754. James Davise to William Preston, £215, 626 acres by deed from Benjamin Borden, Jr., 28th November, 1750, on Catawbo Creek of James River. Teste: James Donelson and Thos. Lloyd.
- Page 384.—30th November, 1749. William Russell, of Culpeper, to John Ramsey, 400 acres in, forks of James. Adam Breckenridge, Daniel McAnaire. Not delivered.
- Page 131.- (28 November 1751)-Same (From James Patton) to Thomas Ramsey, 130 acres ditto. Branch of Catawba.
- Page 359.--29th May, 1761 (prob. 1751). Jeremiah Chamberlain (ane) of York Co., Pennesylvania, to Francis Rich, on branches of James; corner Jeremiah's other tract. Teste: Thomas Tosh.
- Page 535.--21st May, 1748. £30. Alexander Duglas, heir-at-law to Roger Duglas (Douglas), late of Augusta County, deceased, to Alexander Ritchey, blacksmith, 400 acres on James River above mouth Craig's Creek. Teste: Robt. Renick, Mathew Edmiston, Wm. Syers. Acknowledged, 21st May, 1748.
- Page 307.--28th May, 1751. Gabriel Jones to Wm. Richey, 190 acres lately purchased by grantor from grantee and conveyed to him by Borden, 1750; conveyed by Borden; on Caturba Creek; John McFerring's corner.
- 25 July 1746 - Robert Rowline (sic)- 369 acres Augusta County, Luney's Mill Cr. waters of the James River, [Source: Land Office Patents No. 24, 1745 - 1746].
- 10 September 1755. - Robert Rowland - rec'd (1) - 244 acres in Augusta County, on the waters of James River on the west side of said river and (2) - 113 acres on the waters of James River. Patents 31, 32, [Source: Virginia State Land Office. 1-42, 1751-1756]
- Page 108 - 28th November, 1751. James Patton to John Ruckman, 280 acres by patent as above. Buffalo Creek of James.
- Page 295.--3d July, 1755. Humberston Lyon to Alexander Sayers (Sawyers), £50, 650 acres on Wood's River. Teste: James Harress, Christopher Hicks, Eabreham Dunckleberry, Wm. Sayers, J. Buchanan, gent.--
- Page 369.--12th October, 1765. John ( ) McCleland to Edward Sharp, £30, 60 acres by patent 3d November, 1750, and conveyed by Patton to Charles Milligan, 17th November, 1752, and conveyed by Milligan to McClelan, on head of Looney's Creek.
- Page 76 - Patrick Sharky, 15 acres, James River. July 24, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 29].
- Page 324.—21st March, 1769. William Lewis and Ann to Archibald Smathers, £15. 100 acres on a branch of James's River called Back Creek, about three miles above Allen's land below Falling Spring Run. Delivered: Archibald Smithers, March, 1778.
- Page 327.—21st March, 1769. Same to same (William Lewis and Ann to Archibald Smathers), £37.10, 172 acres on Back Creek of James River above Allen's land.
- Page 46 - Andrew Smithers, 75 acres, James River. Adjoining James Beats, Robert Young. September 6, 1765. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 18].
- 13 March 1745 - Land Survey for Thomas Taylor for 285 acres on Cedar Creek, by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53].
- Page 744.--James Young, miller, to Lou (Low) Todd, carpenter. Delivered: William Todd, 16th May, 1756, 251 acres Fork of James, on Whistle Creek where Todd now liveth; corner Mathew Young. Teste: Arthur and Abraham Brown, James McCown.
- Page 107.--20th November, 1761. William Todd, of Bedford, to Samuel Todd, of Augusta, £40, 400 acres on the head of North Branch of Buffalo Creek, Benj. Borden's line. Teste: James Hutton. Delivered: Wm. Lusk, January, 1765.
- Page 749.--31st March, 1760. Robert Young to Wm. Todd, 400 acres on North Br. of Buffalo Creek, Benj. Borden's line.
- Page 20.--31st December, 1745. Daniel McEnaire (McNare)). Gent to James Trimble, surveyor, £22, 10 shillings Virginia money; 400 acres on a branch of James River called Burden's Creek. Witnesses, James Sayers, David Trimble, Silas Hart. Acknowledged by Daniel McNare and Hannah, his wife 11th February, 1745-6.
- Page 456.--29th September, 1747. £30. James Wood, of Frederick, to Ephraim (Vance), of Augusta, 245 acres on Goose Creek patented to James Wood, 12th January, 1746, adjoining Francis Betty. Teste: James Patton, Jno. Buchanan, Charles Campbell. Proved, 19th November, 1747, by James Patton and Chas. Camell.
- Page 35 - Phillip Watkins, 26 acres, Catawba Creek, Branch of the James River. Adjoining William Richees. March 2, 1764. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 14].
- Page 123.— George Wilson to Benjamin Watson, 21st March, 1754, 173 acres conveyed to George by Patton, 8th November, 1751, on the head of Broad Creek in the Forks of James River, adjoining land where Mary Doughert lives. George (his mark) Wilson.
- Page 65 - Johnathan Whittey (Whitley), 48 acres, James River, February, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 25].
- Page 132.--8th March, 1768. Edward Sharp to Robert Whitley (Whitly), £5, 335 acres patented to Edward, 15th July, 1760, on Cedar Creek in fork of James, Samuel McDowel's line. Sent William Berkeley, 9th February, 1771.
- Page 105 - Solomon Whitley, 110 acres, Fork James River, November 4, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 38].
- Page 222.--9th March, 1767. Malcom (Malcolm) Allen and Mary ( ) to Patrick Willson, £45, 80 acres by patent dated 16th September, 1765, on James River, George Poage's land. Teste: Gabriel Smithers, Hugh and Moses Allen. Delivered: Wm. McClenachan, July, 1769.
- On November 5, 1767, Andrew Woods bought 300 acres from John Adams and Elizabeth on a branch of Looney's Mill Creek. Andrew Woods was the son of Michael Woods, Sr.
- Page 379.—10th August, 1753. James Young and Sarah to Patrick Young. 340 acres on Whistle Creek in Forks of James, cor. Joseph Walker, North Branch James; cor. tract surveyed for Sarah Young. Teste: John Low, Francis McCown.
- Page 359.--20th August, 1747. William McMachan (McMahon), Gent., of Frederick County, to Robert Young, £15.16.7; 400 acres patented to William, 12th September. 1746, on the head of a north branch of Buffilo Creek adjoining Benj. Bordin's land. Acknowledged. 20th August, 1747.
Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia