Lanchester is a village and civil parish in County Durham, England, and was in the former district of Derwentside (1975–2009). It is 8 miles (13 km) to the west of the city of Durham and 5 miles (8 km) from the former steel town of Consett. Its population was measured at the 2011 UK census as 4,054.
Although there was a small drift mine on the edge of the village which closed in the 1970s, Lanchester's economy was mainly based on agriculture. It is now a residential village in which a number of housing estates have been developed since the late 1960s.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lanchester from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1870-72:
Lanchester was originally an ancient parish in the Chester Ward and also the Darlington Ward of County Durham. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of the Lanchester Rural District when it was formed in 1894. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Derwentside non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
In 1887 and again in 1935 Lanchester altered its boundaries with many of its neighbouring parishes. For further information see A Vision of Britain through Time. Townships in Parish