Like nearby Ebchester, Medomsley's church served many inhabitants of Shotley Bridge for christenings, marriages and burials until the creation of Shotley Bridge in the 19th century. Again this meant that sword-makers of Shotley Bridge were regular visitors of the church for such purposes, and many accounts of such events in their lives can be found in the parish registers.
There were two collieries near the village. Medomsley Colliery to the south west; Derwent Colliery to the north east. Medomsley Colliery (also known as the Busty pit, and not to be confused with South Medomsley Colliery near Annfield Plain) opened in 1839 and closed in 1972. The Derwent Colliery opened in 1856 and closed in 1964.
Medomsley was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lanchester, Durham. The township contained the villages of Benfieldside and Conside and Knitsley, both of which became separate civil parishes alongside Medomsley in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Lanchester Rural District. In 1937 it was abolished and absorbed into Consett. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)