|Alt names||Langley Park||source: village in township/parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Lanchester, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Lanchester Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Derwentside District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
|NOTE: The township of Langley described here is not the mining village of Langley Moor described in Wikipedia. Langley Moor is southwest of Durham. Langley is northwest of Durham and directly east of Lanchester.
The township of Langley has been found on Google Earth as Langley Park. A description of the 21st century Langley Park is to be found in Wikipedia.
There is also a place named Langley to the north in Northumberland.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Langley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LANGLEY, a township in Lanchester parish, Durhamshire; on the river Browney, 4 miles WNW of Durham. Acres: 2,378. Real property: £1,608. Population: 129. Houses: 23. A ruined old hall is here, which belonged to the family of Scroope."
Langley was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lanchester, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Lanchester Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Derwentside non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
Categories: Durham, England | Langley, Durham, England | Lanchester, Durham, England | Chester Ward, Durham, England | Lanchester Rural, Durham, England | Derwentside District, Durham, England