Place:Collierley, Durham, England

Alt namesDiptonsource: village in township
Pontopsource: village in township
Collierlysource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Chapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.717°N 1.75°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoLanchester, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Lanchester Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Stanley, Durham, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1936
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Collierley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"COLLIERLEY, a township and a chapelry in Lanchester parish, Durham. The township lies on an affluent of the river Derwent, adjacent to the Stanhope and Tyne railway, 6 miles NNE of Cold-Rowley [railway] station, and 9 SW of Gateshead; and it includes Dipton and Pontop, the former of which has a post office under Gateshead. Acres: 1,855. Real property: £3,286; of which £1,300 are in mines. Population: 1,322. Houses: 265.
"The chapelry was constituted in 1842; and is more extensive than the township. Rated property: £6,565. Population: 3,223. Houses: 642. The property is subdivided. Coal is worked. The surface rises, at Pontop-Pike, to the altitude of 1,018 feet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patron: the Bishop of Manchester. The church is good."

Collierley was a township and chapelry in the ancient parish of Lanchester. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1936 it was part of Lanchester Rural District. In 1936 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Stanley.

There is an article in Wikipedia about the village of Dipton.

Research Tips