Kyo was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lanchester, Durham, made up of the three settlements of West Kyo, East Kyo and New Kyo. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Lanchester Rural District. In 1937 it was abolished and absorbed into Stanley. Between 1974 and 2009 the area became part of the larger Derwentside non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
West Kyo (also known locally as Old Kyo) is a small village inCounty Durham, England. The name 'kyo' is derived from an old word for 'cow'. It is situated a very short distance to the north of Annfield Plain and to the east of Catchgate. Close by are East Kyo and to the north, Harperley. The nearest large town is Stanley.
The village developed during former periods of heavy coal mining in the area during the 19th century and a gas works used to be situated on its northern edge. A period of substantial decline followed during the 20th century,
East Kyo is a small hamlet in County Durham, England. It is situated a short distance to the west of Stanley, close to Annfield Plain, West Kyo, Oxhill and Harperley. The hamlet of East Kyo consists of two farms and East Kyo House, a former public house.
New Kyo is a village in County Durham, in England. It is situated close to the A693 road between Annfield Plain and Stanley, and is slightly larger than nearby East Kyo and West Kyo.