The parish church, which is dedicated to St. Ebba is of ambiguous origin, being of partly Norman construction with a foundation, described as being pre-Conquest. Much of the stone in the walls and doorway had been taken from Roman rubble of the fort of Vindomora, on which most of the village is located. The church was restored in 1876 and a vestry was added in 1893 at the church's northwest end.
A nunnery is supposed to have been founded in 660 by St. Ebba on the banks of the River Derwent. Ebba soon moved on to be abbess of Coldingham in Berwickshire, Scotland where she died in 683. The nunnery was destroyed by Danish invaders.
Until the creation of the separate parish of Shotley Bridge in the 19th century, many people from there were christened, married and buried in St. Ebba's Church. Quite notably, these include many of the sword-makers from Shotley Bridge of which perhaps the most notable is the monument of Joseph Oley, which reads "The last of the Shotley Bridge swordmakers" and can be found in the churchyard. Many memorials inside the church refer to the Surtees family.
Ebchester Hall (an 18th-century house with 19th century additions) is now St. Mary’s Convent and old people’s home served by the Order of the Good and Perpetual Succour.
Ebchester was a township in the ancient parish of Lanchester. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1937 it was part of Lanchester Rural District. In 1937 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Consett.