A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Benfieldside from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Benfieldside was originally a township in the chapelry of Medomsley, under the ancient parish of Lanchester. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1937 it was an urban district. In 1937 the urban district was abolished and absorbed into Consett.
Benfieldside is a parish in County Durham, England. Although not a village in its own right (ecclesiastically it incorporates Shotley Bridge, Bridgehill and much of Blackhill), it is signposted and locally known. From a governance point of view it is a ward of Consett with a population taken at the 2011 census of 6,637.