It was also a township within the ancient parish and the township became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Bradley Mount and part of Withinlee. The population of the township was 466 in 1801, 373 in 1851, 291 in 1901, 1,693 in 1951, and 3,324 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)
Prestbury is a village, civil parish and ecclesiastical parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. Prestbury is a long, narrow parish covering 1,165 hectares to the west of the Peak Park foothills and to the east of the sandstone ridge which is known as ‘the edge’ (as in Alderley Edge). The village is about 1.5 miles (3 km) north of Macclesfield.
At the time of the UK 2001 census, the civil parish had a population of 3,324. It is one of the most sought after and expensive places to live outside of London. Three of the original townships, Butley, Fallibroome and Prestbury, constitute the present civil parish of Prestbury.
The present ecclesiastical parish is almost the same as the former Prestbury local government ward which consisted of the civil parishes of Prestbury, Adlington, and Mottram St. Andrew. The population of the former ward in 2001 was 5,034.
[This is a "pared-down" reproduction of the article in Wikipedia.] Prestbury lies between Macclesfield and Wilmslow, for the most part on elevated ground above the flood-prone River Bollin. The ancient Forest of Macclesfield is to the east.
As a result of being initially settled by priests an enclosure was chosen with a defensible location on the River Bollin where there was relatively high ground close to the river on both sides so that crossing was easy. From there they could travel to all parts of a parish which was extensive, though thinly populated, in part because the countryside was wild and barren and in part because the forest was reserved for hunting.
The school, smithies, the mill, inns and the stocks centre on a village street called "The Village", which is broad enough for cattle fairs and the like. Until the 19th century the village street was connected to Pearl Street, the main street of Butley, by a ford.
During the 19th century Prestbury became involved in the silk industry. Swanwick's factory operated and cottages were built for the workers ("Factory Cottages" or "Irish Row"). Weavers' cottages were built on both New Road and the Village with upper storeys for weaving.
In the 20th century, improved communications made it possible for Prestbury to develop into a residential community.