Place:Bollington (near Lymm), Cheshire, England

NameBollington (near Lymm)
Alt namesLittle Bollingtonsource: name after 1981
Spode Greensource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.378°N 2.41°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBowdon, Cheshire, Englandancient parish to which part was a township
Rostherne, Cheshire, Englandancient parish to which part was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

GENUKI gives the following details:
Bollington was a township in the ancient parishes of Bowdon and Rostherne in Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. In 1981 the civil parish was renamed Little Bollington (redirected here). It includes the hamlet of Spode Green. The population was 202 in 1801, 300 in 1851, 215 in 1901, 175 in 1951, and 162 in 2001.

Wikipedia adds that the Bridgewater Canal runs through the western side and Dunham Park lies to the north east.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bollington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.