- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Rostherne is a civil parish and village which, since 1974, has been located in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. To the north of the village is Rostherne Mere and to the south is Tatton Park. The A556 road passes to its west.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rostherne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ROSTHERNE, a village and a township in Altrincham district, and a parish partly also in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands 3½ miles N of Knutsford [railway] station, and has a post-office under Knutsford. The township comprises 1,512 acres. Real property: £2,679. Population: 393. Houses: 80.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Tatton, Marthall, Mere, Peover-Superior, Tabley-Superior, Millington, High Leigh, Snelson, and part of Agden. Acres: 19,096. Population in 1851: 4,190; in 1861: 4,058. Houses: 758. [Rostherne] township belongs to Lord Egerton; Bollington, to the Earl of Stamford; Agden, to Sir J. L. N. Chetwode, Bart.; Mere, chiefly to T. J. L. Brooke, Esq.; and High Leigh, to Lord Egerton, E. Leigh, Esq., and G. Legh, Esq. Tatton Hall is the seat of Lord Egerton; Rostherne New Hall, of the Hon. W. Egerton; Agden Hall, of T. S. Bazley, Esq.; Mere New Hall, of T. J. L. Brooke, Esq.; High Leigh Hall, of G. Legh, Esq.; and West Hall, of Major E. Leigh. Rostherne mere is a lake of 118 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Bollington and Hoo-Green, in the diocese of Chester. Value: £325. Patron, Lord Egerton. The church is debased later English; consists of nave, aisles, side-chapels, and chancel, with porch and pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Egertons. The [perpetual] curacies of Marthall, High Leigh, and Over-Tabley, and the chaplaincy of High Leigh, are separate benefices. Chapels of ease are at Bollington and Hoo-Green; and chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, are in Millington. There are several public schools, and charities £102. Martindale, an ejected minister, was vicar.
Townships of Rostherne in the 19th Century