Place:Snelson, Cheshire, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.261°N 2.287°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoPrestbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

Snelson is now a civil parish in the Borough of Cheshire East and ceremonial county of Cheshire, England.

It was originally a township in Prestbury ancient parish in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 126 in 1801, 169 in 1851, 170 in 1901, 160 in 1951, and 157 in 2001.

Although it was in Prestbury ancient parish, its declared place of worship in the Church of England was St. Mary in Rostherne. In 1827 St. Lawrence in Over Peover was made its district church, and in 1880 St. John the Evangelist in Chelford. There was also a Methodist Chapel built in Snelson in 1825. (Source: GENUKI)

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.