|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Rostherne, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Tatton is a civil parish in the Borough of Cheshire East and ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. It has a population of 35.
Tatton Park is located in the parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tatton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TATTON, a township in Rostherne parish, Cheshire; 2 miles N of Kuntsford. Acres: 1,886. Real property, £2,182. Population: 109. Houses: 27. [Tatton] Hall is the seat of Lord Egerton."
Tatton Park Ownership
- the following text is taken from an article in Wikipedia
By the end of the 15th century the estate was owned by the Stanley family who built and occupied the Old Hall. By the 1580s this building had been enlarged and it was owned by the Brereton family. In 1598 the estate was bought by Sir Thomas Egerton, Lord Chancellor of England. Sir Thomas and his children rarely visited the estate and it was loaned to tenants. At the end of the 17th century the estate was owned by John Egerton, Sir Thomas' grandson, who built a new house on the site of the present mansion, some 0.75 miles (1 km) to the west of the Old Hall. This mansion, Tatton Hall, was extensively altered and extended between 1780 and 1813. In 1795 the estate covered 251,000 acres (1,020 km2) (392 sq.miles). The estate remained in the ownership of the Egerton family until the last Lord Egerton died without issue in 1958.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Tatton, Cheshire, England | Rostherne, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England