|Alt names||Goodiers Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Hoo Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Hulse Heath||source: hamlet in parish|
|Mere Platt||source: hamlet in parish|
|Winterbottom||source: hamlet in parish|
|Mera||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 53|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Rostherne, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Mere is a civil parish and linear village along the A556 road in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, about 7 km (4.3 mi) south-west of Altrincham. Bucklow Hill is at its northeast end, and the Mere crossroads is at the southwest end.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Mere from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MERE, a township, with a village, in Rostherne parish, Cheshire; 2½ miles NW of Knutsford. Acres: 2,438. Real property: £4,984. Population: 556. Houses: 112. The manor, with Mere New Hall, belongs to T. J. L Brooke, Esq. The Hall is a fine edifice, in the Tudor style; and stands amid richly ornate grounds. A lake of about 50 acres is in front of the mansion, and gave origin to the name Mere. A chapel of ease is at Hoo-Green."
GENUKI provides the following information:
Mere was a township in Rostherne ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Bucklow Hill (part, redirected to Millington), Goodiers Green, Hoo Green, Hulse Heath, Mere Platt and Winterbottom. The population was 498 in 1801, 583 in 1851, 437 in 1901, 653 in 1951, and 601 in 2001.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Mere, Cheshire, England | Rostherne, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England