|Alt names||Berristall||source: hamlet in parish|
|Birchencliffe||source: hamlet in parish|
|Brook Bank||source: hamlet in parish|
|Cophurst Knott||source: hamlet in parish|
|Mitchell Fold||source: hamlet in parish|
|Unwin Pool||source: hamlet in parish|
|Pott-Shrigley||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Prestbury, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Pott Shrigley is a small village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. According to the 2001 UK census, the civil parish and village has a population of 220. The nearest town is Bollington located to the southwest.
Sir John de Shriggeley (died after 1403), a leading statesman and judge in late fourteenth century Ireland, who held office as Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, was the son of another John de Shriggeley, a Cheshire man who is thought to have taken his name from his birthplace, Pott Shrigley.
The village is most notable for Shrigley Hall, a Grade II* listed building. It was originally a private residence of the Downes family of Shrigley and Worth. They held it for almost 500 years until the early 19th century.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Pott Shrigley was a township in Prestbury ancient parish in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Berristall, Birchencliffe, Brook Bank, Cophurst Knott, Mitchell Fold and Unwin Pool. The population was 369 in 1801, 467 in 1851, 313 in 1901, and 415 in 1951.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Pott Shrigley, Cheshire, England | Prestbury, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England