Place:Lower Withington, Cheshire, England

NameLower Withington
Alt namesWithingtonsource: Family History Library Catalog
Broad Hillsource: hamlet in parish
Dicklow Cobsource: hamlet in parish
Dingle Banksource: hamlet in parish
Gleads Mosssource: hamlet in parish
Harrop Green in Lower Withingtonsource: hamlet in parish
Hodgehillsource: hamlet in parish
Jodrell Banksource: hamlet in parish
Smiths Greensource: hamlet in parish
Trap Streetsource: hamlet in parish
Whisterfieldsource: hamlet in parish
Whitecroft Greensource: hamlet in parish
Windyharboursource: hamlet in parish
Woodcroft Greensource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.224°N 2.279°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoPrestbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Lower Withington is now a civil parish and village in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. At the 2001 census, it had a total population of 492.

The Jodrell Bank Observatory lies mostly within the parish.

the following text is based on an article in GENUKI

Lower Withington was a township in Prestbury ancient parish in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become part of Withington, which itself was renamed Lower Withington in 1978.

It includes the hamlets of Broad Hill, Dicklow Cob, Dingle Bank, Gleads Moss, Harrop Green, Hodgehill (part), Jodrell Bank (part), Smiths Green, Trap Street, Whitecroft Green, Windyharbour, Woodcroft Green. Whisterfield was redirected to the neighbouring parish of Siddington. The population was 540 in 1801, 570 in 1851, 578 in 1901, and 492 in 2001.

the following text is based on an article in GENUKI

Withington was a civil parish created in 1936 by uniting Lower Withington with Old Withington. The civil parish was renamed Lower Withington in 1978. The population was 661 in 1951.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lower Withington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.