|Alt names||Sudendune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 54|
|Colshaw Heath||source: hamlet in parish|
|Redesmere||source: hamlet in parish|
|Thorneycroft||source: hamlet in parish|
|Whisterfield||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Prestbury, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Siddington is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It consists of farms and a half-mile long lake named Redesmere, as well as the Capesthorne Estate. The village is located at the crossroads of the A34 road with the B5392 approximately halfway between Alderley Edge and Congleton.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Siddington was a township in Prestbury ancient parish in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It gained part of neighbouring parish of Capesthorne in 1936. The population was 423 in 1801, 459 in 1851, 392 in 1901, 394 in 1951, and 376 in 2001.
The parish includes the hamlets of Colshaw Heath, Redesmere, Thorneycroft and Whisterfield. , Hodgehill was redirected to the neighbouring parish of Lower Withington.
The parish is bounded on the east by the parish of Gawsworth, on the south by Marton (near Congleton), on the west by Lower Withington and Old Withington, and on the north (beyond Capesthorne) by Chelford and Henbury cum Pexall.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Siddington, Cheshire, England | Prestbury, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England