|Alt names||Gouesurde||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 53|
|Danes Moss||source: hamlet in parish|
|Dighills||source: hamlet in parish|
|Gawsmoor Hill||source: hamlet in parish|
|High Lane in Gawsworth||source: hamlet in parish|
|Moss Houses||source: hamlet in parish|
|Shellow||source: hamlet in parish|
|Tidnock||source: hamlet in parish|
|Walkers Heath||source: hamlet in parish|
|Warren||source: hamlet in parish|
|Whitemoor||source: hamlet in parish|
|Woodhouse End||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Gawsworth is a civil parish and village in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is one of the eight ancient parishes of Macclesfield Hundred.
The country houses Gawsworth Old Hall, Gawsworth New Hall and Gawsworth Old Rectory are in the village. The authors of the Buildings of England series (which included Nikolaus Pevsner) stated:
- "There is nothing in Cheshire to compare with the loveliness of Gawsworth: three great houses and a distinguished church set around a descending string of pools, all within an enigmatic large-scale formal landscape."
A wood near the village known as Maggotty Wood is the burial place of the eighteenth-century dramatist Samuel "Maggotty" Johnson. His ghost is reputed to haunt the wood.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Gawsworth became a civil parish in 1866. It lost areas to Macclesfield in 1936 and 1955. The population was 697 in 1801, 788 in 1851, 573 in 1901, 1093 in 1951, and 1673 in 2001.
The parish area was 5,442 acres in 1870 and was bounded by the parishes of Macclesfield on the northeast, Sutton Lane Ends on the east, Bosley and North Rode on the south, Marton (near Congleton) and Siddington on the west and Henbury cum Pexall on the northwest.
It includes the hamlets of Danes Moss, Dighills, Gawsmoor Hill, High Lane, Moss Houses, Shellow, Tidnock, Walkers Heath, Warren, Whitemoor and Woodhouse End.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Gawsworth, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England