Place:North Rode, Cheshire, England

NameNorth Rode
Alt namesEthels Greensource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.196°N 2.167°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoPrestbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish covering part of the township
Gawsworth, Cheshire, Englandancient parish covering part of the township
Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

North Rode is a small village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. According to the 2001 UK census, the population of the entire civil parish was 178.

North Rode was originally a township in Prestbury ancient parish, and it was also part of Macclesfield Hundred. In the nineteenth century, it was also placed in Macclesfield poor law union and rural sanitary district. In 1866, it became a separate civil parish and in 1894 it was placed in Macclesfield Rural District. There was a small change to the boundary of the civil parish in 1936.

It has a picturesque church built 1845-6 dedicated to St Michael.

GENUKI provides the following information:

North Rode was a township in the ancient parishes of Prestbury and Gawsworth in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlet of Ethels Green. The population was 256 in 1801, 277 in 1851, 276 in 1901 and 236 in 1951.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at North Rode. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.