- source: Family History Library Catalog
Longford was a civil parish created 1885 from the smaller neighbouring parishes of Longford St. Catherine and Longford St. Mary (both of which are redirected here). Longford is now located north of the A40 on the north side of the City of Gloucester. The A38 goes through Longford on its way from Gloucester to Tewkesbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of the two parts of Longford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LONGFORD-ST.CATHERINE, a hamlet in St. Catherine parish, Gloucestershire; contiguous to Gloucester city, 1 mile N of Gloucester [railway] station. Acres: 200. Real property, with Longford-St. Mary: £4,735. Population: 213. Houses: 37. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Gloucester; and most of the land, to the Dean and Chapter. A Roman settlement is supposed to have been here."
St. Catherine parish referred to above is Gloucester St. Catherine, one of the Gloucester ecclesiastical parishes and a civil parish until 1896.
Online sources which may also be helpful: