Place:Barnwood, Gloucestershire, England

Alt namesBerneuudesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 111
Coordinates51.867°N 2.217°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoDudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Gloucester (district), Gloucestershire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been located since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Barnwood in Gloucestershire, England is on the old Roman road that links the City of Gloucester with Hucclecote, Brockworth and Cirencester. In 1966 Barnwood was abolished as a parish and the area was divided between the City of Gloucester, Hucclecote and Upton St. Leonards.

Barnwood was originally a small village. The Church of England parish church of St Lawrence, about two miles east of the city centre of Gloucester, is known for The Barnwood Guild of Church Bellringers, inaugurated in 1952. However, bell ringing has a long history in the Gloucester area and Barnwood had long been a part of it when its activities were disrupted by World War II.

Samuel and Anne Bubb, who were grandparents of the inventor Sir Charles Wheatstone (1802–75), developer of the Wheatstone Bridge, used to measure electrical resistance, lived at Barnwood Manor House. Biographical notes of 1887 say that Sir Charles stated that he was born in the house and lived there as a young child, and this was the scene of some of his earliest experiments. In later years Wheatstone often returned to Barnwood.

The architect Frederick S. Waller (1822–1905), sometime resident architect at Gloucester Cathedral, lived and died at Barnwood.

Registration Districts

Gloucester Original (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1966)

The parish was abolished in 1966 and later registrations will be found under the parishes of Gloucester, Hucclecote, and Upton St. Leonards.

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • Barnwood from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 4/City of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Barnwood. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.