- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Twigworth is a small village near Gloucester in Gloucestershire, England. The place-name 'Twigworth' is first attested in 1220, as 'Twigeworth', and is thought to mean 'enclosure made of twigs'. The village is adjacent to the former parish of Longford. Both villages were in the parish of Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode.
There is a church, dedicated to St Matthew. The poet and composer Ivor Gurney (1890-1937) is buried in the churchyard.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria County History of Gloucestershire has a map of Twigworth and the village of Longford to the southwest. The map is followed by detailed descriptions of both villages.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Twigworth, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode, Gloucestershire, England