- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sandhurst is a village just outside Gloucester, England, but part of Tewkesbury Borough.
The River Severn is the border between Sandhurst and the neighbouring parish of Maisemore.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Sandhurst from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SANDHURST, a parish, with a straggling village, in the district and county of Gloucester; near the river Severn, 3 miles N of Gloucester [railway] station. It has a postal letter-box under Gloucester. Acres: 2,227. Real property: £5,507. Population: 549. Houses: 117. The property is much subdivided. Wallsworth Hall is the seat of Capt. De Winton. Brickmaking is carried on; and many salmon are caught. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £310. Patron: the Bishop of [Gloucester and Bristol]. The church is Norman, and was restored and enlarged in 1858. Charities, £25."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Sandhurst, Gloucestershire, England