- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Maisemore is a village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. It lies on the A417 road 2.5 miles northwest of the City of Gloucester, on the west bank of the River Severn (the opposite bank from Gloucester itself). In the 2001 census the parish had a population of 488. There is a church, dedicated to St Giles.
Maisemore Bridge connects the village to Alney Island, and provides a viewpoint for the Severn bore. Maisemore Weir and Lock were built in about 1870. The weir is at the upper limit of the tides on the Severn. The lock is no longer in use. The northern part of Alney Island, which is within the parish of Maisemore, is known as Maisemore Ham.
Maisemore was part of the ecclesiastical and civil parish of Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (district), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Maisemore, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode, Gloucestershire, England