|Type||Township, Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Acton and Old Felton, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Fenton in 1955|
|Elyhaugh, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Fenton in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Felton is a small village in north Northumberland in northeast England. Felton is situated about 10 miles (16 km) south of Alnwick and 9 miles (14 km) north of Morpeth. The nearest city, Newcastle upon Tyne is 24 miles (39 km) south of the village and the Scottish border is about an hour away. At the latest UK census in 2011, Felton had a population of 932, down from 952 in 2001.
There are two bridges crossing the River Coquet. The oldest dates to around the 15th Century, while the other was built in 1926. The older bridge is closed to vehicular traffic, and is often used for village events including carol singing at Christmas.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Felton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FELTON, a township in Alnwick [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Morpeth [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Coquet, 3¾ miles SW of Acklington [railway] station, and 9 S of Alnwick; has a post office‡ under Acklington, and a three-arched bridge over the Coquet; and enjoys picturesque scenery along that river's winding course. The parish contains also the townships of Elyhaugh, Swarland, Bockenfield, Eshott, Greens and Glantlees, Acton and Old Felton, and East and West Thirston-with-Shothaugh. Acres: 12, 830. Real property: £12, 224; of which £104 are in mines. Population: 1, 591. Houses: 307. The property is not much divided. Felton Hall was built by the Widdringtons; and passed to the Riddells. The barons of Northumberland did homage at Old Felton, in 1216, to Alexander of Scotland; and King John was so enraged at their conduct as to devastate the place. An obelisk to the memory of Lord Nelson, erected by Sir W. Davison, is at Swarland. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Long Framlington, in the diocese of Durham. Value: £275. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are chapels for Presbyterians and Roman Catholics and a national school. "
Felton was an ancient parish in the Coquetdale and Morpeth Wards which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. Its borders were altered a few times between 1866 and 1935, but more substantially in 1955 when the civil parishes of Acton and Old Felton and Elyhaugh were abolished and absorbed into Felton. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Felton became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Townships in parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Felton, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England | Alnwick District, Northumberland, England