|Alt names||Long Framlington||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Felton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was locatedCoquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England|ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Alnwick District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Longframlington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FRAMLINGTON (Long), a township and a parish in Rothbury [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Coquet, 5½ miles ESE of Rothbury, and 6 ½ WSW of Acklington [railway] station; and has a post office under Morpeth, and fairs on the second Tuesday of July, 23 Aug., and 22 Oct. The parish includes also the townships of Brinkburn High Ward and Brinkburn Low Ward. Acres: 4,962. Real property: £2,980; of which £170 are in mines. Population: 447. Houses: 111. A tract of about 1,000 acres in the west, is wild and dreary moorland, and has a great number of cairns."
- "The Devil's Causeway, connected with Watling Street, goes over the moors; and there are large heaps of scoriæ, probably relics of Roman smelting works. Coal, limestone, and freestone are plentiful, but have been but little worked. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Felton, in the diocese of Durham. There has been a Presbyterian congregation since 1640."
Longframlington was a township in the ancient parish of Felton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. Before 1900 Longframlington appears to have had as much importance as Felton. It appears to have acquired the Brinkburn parishes from Rothbury before those parishes solidified into Brinkburn in 1889. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Longframlington became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Longframlington, Northumberland, England | Felton, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England | Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England | Alnwick District, Northumberland, England