Place:Acton and Old Felton, Northumberland, England

NameActon and Old Felton
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.321°N 1.713°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoFelton, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Felton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish in which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Acton and Old Felton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ACTON and OLD FELTON, a township in Felton parish, Northumberland; near the river Coquet, 3 miles ENE of Acklington [railway] station, and 7½ S of Alnwick. Acres: 1,244. Population: 93. Houses: 21."

Acton and Old Felton was a township in the ancient parish of Felton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into the parish of Felton.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.