Chester le Street is a town in County Durham, England. Its history goes back to the building of a Roman fort called "Concangis". This Roman fort is the "Chester" (from the Latin castra) of the town's name; the "Street" refers to the paved Roman road that ran north–south through the town, now called Front Street.
Chester le Street is located 7 miles on the River Wear (11 km) south of Newcastle upon Tyne and 8 miles (13 km) west of Sunderland. The parish church of St. Mary and St. Cuthbert is where the body of St. Cuthbert remained for 112 years before being transferred to Durham Cathedral, and is also the site of the first translation of the Gospels into English. Aldred the Scribe wrote the Old English gloss or annotation between the lines of the Lindisfarne Gospels there.
The population of Chester in the UK census of 2001 was 23,946.
Chester le Street was originally a chapelry and then an ancient parish in the Chester Ward of County Durham. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of the Chester le Street Rural District when it was formed in 1894. In 1909 the town was removed from the rural district and made an urban district, a status it held until 1974. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Chester le Street non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Chester-le-Street.
Townships and chapelries in the ancient parish