Waldridge is a village in County Durham, England. The population at the 2001 UK census was 215. But prior to the 2011 UK census the parish boundaries changed and the population shown at this census was 4,215.
Waldridge is situated to the southwest of Chester le Street. It is known as either Waldridge Fell or Waldridge Village, the 'Fell' referring to the surrounding area of moorland. The village used to be known as Waldridge Colliery. The current village dates back to the 1890s, the original village having been located on the fell which overlooks the present location.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Waldridge from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Waldridge was originally a township in the ancient parish of Chester le Street, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. It was part of Chester le Street Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Chester le Street non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.