Place:Harraton, Durham, England

Alt namesChaters Houghsource: village in parish
Fatfieldsource: village in parish
Pictreesource: village in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.881°N 1.534°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoChester le Street, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Chester le Street Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
City of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Harraton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARRATON, a township in Chester-le-Street parish, and a sub-district in Chester-le-Street [registration] district, Durham. The township lies on the river Wear, and on the North-eastern railway, 3 miles NE of Chester-le-Street; includes the villages of Chaters-Hough, Fatfield, and Pictree; and forms part of the chapelry of Birtley. Acres: 2,394. Real property: £13,007; of which £7,250 are in mines. Population: 1,642. Houses: 327. The manor belongs to the Earl of Durham; and has his seat, Lambton Castle, on an eminence adjacent to the Wear. Coal is extensively worked; but some of the coal pits are exhausted. There are a chapel-school of the Established church, and chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists."

Harraton was a township in the ancient parish of Chester le Street. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1912 it was part of Chester le Street Rural District. In 1974 this part of Durham became part of the district of the City of Sunderland within the county of Tyne and Wear.

Harraton Colliery included the Nova Scotia pit and was worked until the seam was exhausted in 1965.

Research Tips