|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Chester le Street, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1829|
|Durham Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1829|
|Chester le Street Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Chester le Street District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Plawsworth is a village in County Durham, England. It is situated a short distance to the east of Sacriston, on the A167 road between Durham and Chester le Street.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Plawsworth was originally a township in the ancient parish of Chester le Street, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Chester le Street Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Chester le Street non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Plawsworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PLAWSWORTH, a township in Chester-le-Street parish, Durhamshire; near the river Wear, 4 miles N by W of Durham. Acres: 1,224. Real property: £2,207; of which £500 are in mines. Population in 1851: 286; in 1861: 681. Houses: 130. The increase of population arose from the extension of collieries. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.
Categories: Durham, England | Plawsworth, Durham, England | Chester le Street, Durham, England | Chester Ward, Durham, England | Durham Ward, Durham, England | Chester le Street Rural, Durham, England | Chester le Street District, Durham, England