Archived Talkstreams 2012, 2013
Floyd Knapp [16 January 2014]
I am very new to WeRelate. I have been checking things out and came across my grandpa, Floyd Knapp Sr in your tree. Wondering if you are related?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Kelly Knapp Yeomans--KellysFamilyTree 02:10, 16 January 2014 (UTC)
Categories in Kirkcudbrightshire [5 February 2014]
Your amendments are coming up on my watchlist. Can you tell me what your purpose is? I have no criticisms--I am just curious.
I have ancestry in Kirkcudbrightshire, but I have not got as far as putting the whole KKD family into WeRelate yet.
--Goldenoldie 18:55, 5 February 2014 (UTC)
- Simply adding the main category links at the bottom.--Khaentlahn 18:56, 5 February 2014 (UTC)
ZachariahEddy1712.ged [9 February 2014]
I modified one of the daughters, but the 1900 census does support the impossible birth dates. Weird... Colby Farrington 17:16, 9 February 2014 (UTC)
GEDCOM uploaded? [23 February 2014]
There is a message on the watercooler about a GEDCOM file uploaded by Colby Farrington. Do you happen to know if the file was uploaded, or might this be something I need to check with Dallan about? --Jennifer (JBS66) 16:08, 23 February 2014 (UTC)
- I was wondering about that myself, because, from this end, the file importation was run normally, but it appears to have somehow disappeared. If you would be so kind as to check with Dallan, that would be great.--Khaentlahn 16:14, 23 February 2014 (UTC)
- Will do! I'll post a response on the Watercooler when I hear more (probably not until tomorrow). --Jennifer (JBS66) 16:38, 23 February 2014 (UTC)
GEDCOM in review [2 April 2014]
There is a GEDCOM file in review that you've claimed and I'm not sure of the status on it. Diane Hosler left a message here about her import. --Jennifer (JBS66) 19:37, 2 April 2014 (UTC)
Starting tutorials [26 May 2014]
Thank you for your efforts in rewriting the tutorials. They are much easier to follow. I am not that familiar with entering information in a wiki, so I much appreciate the help you and others have given. Maybe someday I feel comfortable with it. Genehuntr--genehuntr 00:58, 26 May 2014 (UTC)
Person:Kate Pegg (1) [22 August 2014]
I have adjusted the death place and burial details for Kate Pegg. Lindsay was in Victoria County (now City of Kawartha Lakes); Lindsey was a township in Bruce County (now in a municipality with a different name, but still within Bruce County). Found by noting the co-ords for Riverside Cemetery, which did not match with Bruce County.
Riverside Cemetery was already listed under Victoria County.
--Goldenoldie 07:26, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
Tom Schoening gedcom [30 September 2014]
Hi, it looks like you're in the middle of reviewing Tomschoening's GEDCOM. He just left a message on my talk page wondering how it was coming along. (I glanced at it quickly and it looks pretty good to me.) Would you mind importing it or returning it to Tom with a reason why it can't be imported? Thanks!--Dallan 17:00, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- I apologize. I started the review earlier today and was called away due to illness. It has been imported.
- Thank-you! I hope you are feeling better.--Dallan 04:53, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
empty pages [16 October 2014]
I have noticed you adding empty person pages to Family pages I have created. I purposefully do not create those pages because they tend to be very confusing when displayed in search results. I believe the page should not be created until you have something to put on it: a birth, a death, a location, parents, a second marriage. Chances are it would only take a few minutes to find something about that person so the page is distinguishable when it shows up in somebody's search results, or simply do not create it and let the name on the family page, which is all you know, speak for itself. --Jrich 17:49, 16 October 2014 (UTC)
- I've noticed that if you do search for a particular person which has no page but is shown with only the Add function, it does not show up at all in searches. Your experience with this may be different, but if you are unable to find the individual, how can information be added? Before adding any more pages which you have left in this manner, I will be sure to do the necessary research so that something can be added to those pages and they aren't left in limbo.--Khaentlahn
- I am not sure I understand what you are describing. If I do, the answer is you simply add it, when you have information to put on the page. If you add a husband or wife to a existing Family page in order to populate the data fields, the new non-empty Person page will then be attached to the Family page. If you add a person from scratch, then when you go to add Spouse and Family, the duplicate screening step should show you the Family page already exists. In fact, this matching tends to work very well because the search results matching a husband and wife name combination are usually pretty small and well-targeted. You select the existing Family page and your new person is inserted as the husband or wife into the Family page you weren't aware was there. No duplicates.
- An empty page is just a name. That function is fulfilled by the title of the Family page. Yes if you have more information, create the Person page. But if not, why? It is quite likely that an empty page for Benjamin Hinds attached to Tabitha Holland would not be recognized as a match to a query for Benjamin Hinds born Shrewsbury, Mass. 1725, anyway (especially if the name was John Smith instead of Benjamin Hinds, or if the searcher knew about his first marriage but not his second). So the person searching for Benjamin Hinds born in Shrewsbury 1725 will probably create what ends up being a duplicate page. The other issue is that having a bunch of empty pages come up in search results with no dates, no locations means I can't just scan the results, I now have to click on links until I find an ancestor or descendant with a date, then estimate back what county and era the Person lived in. Often, I am looking in US and they're in England, I want 1700's and they're in the 1900's. It can be frustrating. Best in my opinion to delay creating the Person page until enough information can be put on it to distinguish it from other Person pages having the same name.
- If people know the marriage details, a tip is to search the Family namespace because matching is more precise, as noted. --Jrich 00:46, 17 October 2014 (UTC)