- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Windlesham has been since 1974 a village in the Surrey Heath borough of Surrey, England. The northern border of the civil parish (and that of Surrey Heath Borough) is the border with the County of Berkshire. Aldershot in Hampshire is also not far away.
The civil parish also covers Bagshot and Lightwater. Its name derives from the Windle Brook which runs south of the village into Chobham and the common suffix ham, the Old English word for 'homestead'.
With the A30 (London Road) on its northern edge, two nearby train stations and Heathrow Airport, the settlement is largely a commuter village. It has one church, St John the Baptist, and six public houses.
Windlesham was once a small community within Windsor Great Park, built as a remote farming settlement around undulating heath, similar to Sunninghill in Berkshire.
Between 1894 and 1909 it was part of Chertsey Rural District. In 1909 Windlesham became an urban district, but in 1933, when Chertsey Rural District was abolished, Windlesham lost its urban district status and became part of the newly organized Bagshot Rural District.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Windlesham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WINDLESHAM, a village and a parish in Chertsey [registration] district, Surrey. The village stands 2¾ miles SW of Sunningdale [railway] station, and 8 WSW of Chertsey; and has a post-office under Farnborough Station. The parish includes Bagshot village, part of Sunningdale chapelry, and a detached tract at Broomhall; lies contiguous to Aldershot camp; and contains a portion of the camp arrangements. Acres: 5,874. Real property: £6,514. Population in 1851: 1,794; in 1861: 2,090. Houses: 425. [Windlesham] Hall is the seat of W. Ashton, Esq.; Bagshot Park, of Sir J. Clark, Bart.; Hall Grove, of H. Dumbleton, Esq.; Earls Wood, of Lady Curey; Cedars, of Lady Elizabeth Thackeray; Hatton Hill House, of T. Andrews, Esq.; and Birch Hall, of J. B. Sharpe, Esq. Nursery grounds are at Hatton Hill; and much of the land is within Bagshot Heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £660. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1680, and altered and enlarged in 1838. A chapel of ease and a Baptist chapel are at Bagshot; and a national school, six alms houses, and charities £33 are at Windlesham."
Surrey Research Tips
Part of a list taken from GENUKI
Archives and Libraries
Surrey Cemeteries & Crematoriums
- Registration Districts in Surrey for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.