|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Surrey, England|
|See also||Godley Hundred, Surrey, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Chertsey Rural, Surrey, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1933|
|Bagshot Rural, Surrey, England||rural district in which it was located 1933-1974|
|Surrey Heath District, Surrey, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chobham is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Surrey Heath in Surrey, England. It had a population of about 3,800 in the UK census of 2011. Prior to the formation of Surrey Heath Borough in 1974, Chobham was part of Chertsey Rural District (1894-1933) and Bagshot Rural District (1933-1974).
The village has a small high street area, specialising in traditional shops and motor trades. The River Bourne and its northern tributary known as the Hale, Mill Bourne or Windle Brook run through the village.
Chobham lost a large minority of its land to West End, in 1968, which has a higher population and was long associated with another parish. Chobham has no railway line; it is approximately mid-way between the London-terminating services at Woking and Sunningdale, both just under 5 miles (8.0 km) away.
Until the 19th century almost entirely surrounded by Chobham Common, which was heathland of little agricultural value compared to its central fertile belt, making the village was isolated. During mediaeval times, Chobham remained part of the Chertsey Abbey estates. As across the whole hundred which he dominated, the power of the Abbot of Chertsey Abbey was considerable.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Chobham.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
- Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:
- Archives and Libraries
- Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
- 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
- Lists of cemeteries
- Local family history societies
- A list of historic maps online
Categories: Surrey, England | Chobham, Surrey, England | Godley Hundred, Surrey, England | Chertsey Rural, Surrey, England | Bagshot Rural, Surrey, England | Surrey Heath District, Surrey, England