Place:Mottram St. Andrew, Cheshire, England

NameMottram St. Andrew
Alt namesGreendalesource: hamlet in parish
Hunters Poolsource: hamlet in parish
Kirkleyditchsource: hamlet in parish
Pott Brooksource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.303°N 2.191°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoPrestbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: Mottram St. Andrew should not be confused with the township and parish of Mottram in Mottram in Longdendale ancient parish, also in Macclesfield Hundred. Mottram was abolished in 1936 to become part of Longdendale.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Mottram St. Andrew is a village and civil parish in Cheshire, England. At the 2001 UK census, it had a population of 629. An affluent village in the Cheshire countryside, it is in the Golden Triangle of Knutsford, Macclesfield and Wilmslow, 15 miles from Manchester.

GENUKI provides the following information

Mottram St. Andrew was a township in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866.

It includes the hamlets of Greendale, Hunters Pool, Kirkleyditch, Pott Brook and Withinlee (redirected to Prestbury). The population was 319 in 1801, 408 in 1851, 388 in 1901 and 597 in 1951.

In 1936 it absorbed the whole of the parish of Newton in Prestbury.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Mottram St Andrew. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.