- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Mottram in Longdendale from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MOTTRAM-IN-LONGDENDALE, a small town, a township, and a parish, in the district of Ashton-underLyne and county of Chester. The town stands on an eminence in Longdendale, ½ a mile W of the river Etherow at the boundary with Derbyshire, 1 mile N of the Manchester and Sheffield railway, and 4¼ SE of Ashton-under-Lyne; has environs of great picturesqueness and much grandeur; consists chiefly of one long well-paved street; carries on cotton-spinning and calico printing; is a polling-place for North Cheshire; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Manchester, both of the name of Mottram, and fairs on 27 April and 31 Oct.
- "The township comprises 1,079 acres. Real property: £10,504; of which £50 are in mines, and £16 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851:3,199; in 1861: 3,406. Houses: 667. The manor belonged anciently to the Hollands; passed to the Lovells, the Stanleys, the Wilbrahams, and the Tollemaches; and belongs now to John Tollemache, Esq. Hill-End House is the seat of John Chapman, Esq.; and the Manor House is the residence of F. Grundy, Esq. Broad Bottom, situated at the railway station, is a considerable village and a place of manufacture.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Hattersley, Hollingworth, Tintwistle, Stayley, Matley, Godley, and Newton, and the hamlet of Micklehurst. Acres: 23,279. Real property: £88,588; of which £1,370 are in mines, £193 in quarries, and £862 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851: 23,354; in 1861: 22,495. Houses: 4,487. There are several manors, held by several proprietors; and there are numerous good residences.
- "The surface is very diversified, and contains a large aggregate of beautiful and romantic scenery. Some portions are included in the towns of Mossley and Staleybridge; and both these and others are seats of manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £220. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is later English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine tower; and includes two mortuary chapels: one with a full-length figure of Ralph Stoneleigh, in armour; the other with a handsome marble altar-tomb of Reginald Bretnald, serjeant-at-law. The [perpetual] curacies of Millbrook, Newton, Stayley, Tintwistle, Woodhead, and Godley-with-Newton-Green are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents. Wesleyans, and Unitarians, an endowed grammar school with £65 a year, and charities £87 in Mottram township; and some dissenting chapels and public schools in the other townships."
Data taken from A Vision of Britain through Time
Mottram in Longdendale was an urban district which existed from 1894 until 1936. In 1936 it was abolished to create Longdendale Urban District. At the same time, Hollingworth Urban District was abolished and the area was absorbed into Longdendale UD, as were parts of Hattersley and Matley civil parishes formerly in Tintwistle Rural District.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Mottram in Longdendale is an unparished village within the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside, in Greater Manchester, England. Until 1974 it was a part of Cheshire. It lies in the valley of Longdendale, on the border with Derbyshire and close to the Peak District neighbouring Broadbottom and Hattersley. Mottram in Longdendale Parish was one of the eight ancient parishes of the Macclesfield Hundred of Cheshire. The larger Mottram parish was incorporated into Longdendale in 1936, remaining part of Cheshire, then incorporated into Tameside, as part of the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 in 1974. Even as late as 1991, the town has the preferred name of Mottram in Longdendale.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Mottram in Longdendale.